Here in Albuquerque, sun exposure is a part of our daily lives. Years of hiking, biking, and even daily errands can gradually take their toll on our skin, resulting in signs of damage that can be difficult to treat with over-the-counter creams and serums. At AlluraDerm MD Med Spa, we offer a variety of non-invasive skin care options for Albuquerque-area men and women interested in undoing some of the damage of summers past.
If you’d like to learn more about reducing the effects of past sun exposure, request a complimentary consultation online, or call AlluraDerm MD Med Spa at (505) 821-9630.
The Effects of Sun Exposure
By now, we all know that unprotected sun exposure leads to the development of wrinkles and increases the risk of skin cancer. But other effects of long-term sun exposure are varied. They include:
- Freckles. You may notice these brown spots darken after a day outdoors. With repeated sun exposure, freckles can remain dark, marring your complexion.
- Visible blood vessels. Sun exposure can cause blood vessels in the skin to dilate, leading to chronic redness and blotchiness.
- Loss of tone. Collagen and elastin are naturally occurring proteins that keep skin healthy, supple, and resilient. But excessive sun exposure can break them down, leading to skin that sags and loses its youthful texture and tone.
- Mottled pigmentation. Sometimes called “age spots” or “liver spots,” these flat tan or brown patches are different from freckles because they’re typically associated with long-term sun exposure.
Your Treatment Options
At AlluraDerm MD Med Spa, we see many men and women of all ages who are eager to undo some of the superficial effects of sun damage. Our aestheticians work carefully with you to evaluate the severity of your sun damage. This helps them make sound treatment recommendations that coincide with your needs, budget, and lifestyle. Your options include:
- Fraxel® re:store DUAL: A popular, FDA-approved fractional laser, Fraxel re:store DUAL effectively treats a variety of concerns related to sun damage, including wrinkles and diminished texture.
- Intense pulsed light (IPL): Just as its name implies, IPL uses short bursts of intense light energy to stimulate the skin’s own natural healing processes. IPL is especially useful for treating red and brown discolorations.
- Chemical peels: Our customizable peels can be completely tailored to your skin’s unique needs, using chemical exfoliants to undo minor sun damage.
Look for These Terms
“Broad spectrum” means a product protects against both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are typically associated with physical aging, while UVB rays are more strongly associated with cancer.
SPF 30 is the lowest SPF, or sun protection factor, recommended for typical daily use. If you expect to be outdoors during midday, choose a higher number.
“Water resistant” means that the product will work even if you’re swimming or sweating – but not indefinitely. It’s still important to reapply after a couple of hours.
Preventing Future Damage
Protecting your skin from the sun is important at any age — and it’s never too late to stave off additional damage. Your preventive regimen begins with a strong at-home routine. Daily cleansing, toning, moisturizing, and sun protection, as well as occasional exfoliation, can improve the condition of your skin and keep it more resilient.
At AlluraDerm MD Med Spa, we’re proud to carry proven products from some of the most trusted brands in dermatology. These products can help you maintain your clinical results for a lasting glow. Staying hydrated — especially here in the desert — and eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables also ensures your skin gets the nourishment it needs to look its best.Back to Top